Contact us

You can get in touch with us through
the following methods.

0800 121 6593
      The Environment Agency Team

      11b Lingfield Point
      DL1 1AX

Changes in your circumstances

When things change in your life, it’s important that you keep us up to date so that we can continue to administer your LGPS pension. On this page you’ll find key information about what to do, or what will happen, should your circumstances change.

If you’re still contributing to the Scheme you should also view the contributing member’s page here.  

If you've left the Scheme but still have benefits with us (you've not transferred them out), you should click here.

I’ve changed address, how do I let you know?
You should contact Capita, our administrator. 
I’ve changed my bank account details, how do I let you know?
You should contact Capita, our administrator. 
I want to inform you of my beneficiaries, or update the information you hold about me, what do I do?

You should complete an Expression of Wish form and send this to Capita.

Please note: if you’re a contributing member, you should send this to your employer. Details of how to do this can be found on the contributing member change of circumstances page

What happens if I get another job?

If, after taking your LGPS pension benefits, you get a job with an employer that does not participate in the LGPS, there will be no change to your pension. It will continue to be paid as usual (although the tax office might adjust your tax code).

If, after taking your LGPS pension benefits, you get a job with an employer or council that participates in the LGPS, then whether or not you join the LGPS in this new job, you must inform us by contacting Capita, the Scheme administrator. If you have benefits in the Scheme before 2014, we'll check to see whether these are affected by your new job. If you rejoin the LGPS you'll build up a new period of membership and you'll receive a further package of pension benefits on your retirement.

It is important to note, that if you are in receipt of a ‘tier 3’ ill health pension, and you take on a new employment, you must immediately provide details of this to your previous employer as they awarded you this pension. Your previous employer will then determine whether your pension should be discontinued.

What happens if I get married, divorce, enter into or dissolve a civil partnership, begin or cease cohabiting?

Please inform us immediately by contacting Capita, our Scheme administrator. You’ll also need to send the relevant certificates for registration and return.

If you get divorced, or dissolve your civil partnership, or revoke a cohabiting partner nomination, then your former wife, husband, civil partner or cohabiting partner will stop being entitled to a pension, if you die before them. As part of the divorce or dissolution proceedings, you may wish to get legal advice from your solicitor on how to deal with your LGPS pension benefits. You and your partner will need to consider how to treat your pension rights as part of any settlement. You may also wish to review your Expression of Wish form, to let us know who you would like to receive any death benefits payable.

Points to note

If your pension benefits are subject to a Pension Sharing Order, issued by the Court following a divorce or annulment of marriage, or the making of an order for the dissolution or nullity of a civil partnership, or are subject to a qualifying agreement in Scotland, they will be reduced in accordance with the Court Order or agreement. If you remarry, or enter into a new civil partnership, any partner's pension payable following your death will also be reduced. Benefits payable to eligible children will not be reduced because of a pension share. 

My health is deteriorating and I want someone else to look after my affairs, what do I do?

You may worry about ill health in later life preventing you from managing your property and savings, or even doing day to day activities you take for granted, such as collecting your pension or drawing money from your bank account.

If you're concerned about the possibility of being unable to manage your own affairs later in life, you may want to think about creating Enduring Power of Attorney. This is a simple form that allows you to specify who you want to act on your legal behalf, and under what circumstances. For example, you can arrange for your spouse or partner to act on your behalf if you become too ill to do so yourself.

Forms and more information about the process can be obtained from the Public Guardianship Office or you can get in touch with your solicitor or local Citizen's Advice Bureau.